Wednesday 17 February 2010

Okay, well, things don't always go to plan

So, okay.

My original idea for this blog has kinda fallen through. Not that the comic project has! (although it isn't called Zombie Death Squad anymore).

No, things got kinda crazy in my personal life, and everything kin of got on top of me and to try and help 'educate' people on the comics creation process seems totally inappropriate now. I am as much a learner as anyone else, and right now I don't know where I stand at all.

Broke, jobless, living at home and with few career prospects in my area mostly.

I was made redundant from my job at Borders bookstore in Cardiff on Christmas Eve last year, when the company finally ceased trading. It was kind of a shock, with little indication that it was coming before it was announced on national news...so the whole country, and even the world if they cared to look online, knew what was going on with my job before I did.

I guess lately I've been feeling...swept away. 2009 pulled the rug out from under me in a big way. I found myself bankrupt and redundant and living with my parents again all in the same year.

A mate and colleague of mine asked at the End of Borders Piss-Up we had on the last day how I stay so positive. I try to smile and be happy, because life is what you make of it. But if I'm entirely honest, deep down I've been kinda terrified.

I've been looking for work since then, and there really seem to be little to no jobs in the area. I applied for the last three I was eligible for Monday, waiting to hear on them now. What's more, they're call centre jobs, which I know full well I hate.

My creative said hasn't suffered too badly. I've had some great writing sessions wih the boys re: The Project. It's coming along in leaps and bounds again, even though it's had a dramatic overhaul. Plus, we had a very productive meeting with the great guys from Com.X comics, and Gav got to come down and meet all of us, some for the first time.

It's kind of happening in bursts for my solo stuff though now. I have some great ideas and I've been laying them out in pitches and starting scrips, but I'm so busy looking for a source of income that my writing slightly suffers. It doesn't get my full attention, and the stress is throwing up major blocks quite often.

So I'm gonna just write on this blog now. About anything. Just about what's going on in this mess I call a head. Just to keep me writing. Hopefully, I'll update more often that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment